Monday, July 14, 2014

Our Anniversary

I am figuring I better jump back into this thing called blogging and sit down for a post. I have a few drafts in the line up, one on fear and failure, which is maybe why I haven't been able to publish anything. Joel has had a few posts lately and I am thinking if I don't chime back in, we may have to change the blog name and remove my picture from the "about" page. And since we just celebrated our 19th anniversary, it only makes sense that I would contribute this post.

Last week, for our anniversary, we stole away for a few short hours for dinner at JW's. Their claim is creative comfort food. We agree. We don't get their often but when we do, we enjoy sipping fine wine, tasting delicious food and talking. We even have a tendency to complete full sentences. We laugh, and sometimes cry, but my favorite part about these dinners is the dreaming. Once we have a chance to relax and clink glasses, we enjoy talking about the future. Future travel, anniversaries, our kids, our home, our lives. Sharing ideas plants seeds and some take root and grow and others are gone with the wind, but in that moment, it is fun to share, plan and dream.

Our food was scrumptious. We started with seared blackened Ahi in a mango sauce, then moved to a delicious mushroom soup (I am still dreaming about this soup) and a wedge salad. For entrees, Joel had the duck breast (I knew he would) and I had the pork chop. It was smokey and covered with a savory Arbiatta sauce. Yum. We always take a look at the dessert menu but usually pass. Not this night. Our fantastic waitress went through the list, tempting us with each item, but we remained strong. Until she got to the last item on the menu.... The Crumble. We are both suckers for crumbles but waited to hear the flavor before making our final decision. Waiting with bated breath, me hoping for Rhubarb, she finally revealed that tonight's crumble was PEACH. Joel's face lit up. He was sold. About half way through the dessert, he announced that the peach was the perfect fruit. Period.

I love how Joel is patiently waiting for me to take the photo :)


It was a delightful evening. I am so thankful for Joel. He is a wonderful, devoted, loving husband and father. We reflected over the last 19 years last night as we talked. We've both grown and changed so much since those early years. But we rejoiced in knowing that we've done it together. It has not been easy and there have definitely been times when I have wondered if it all was worth it. But I can honestly say, "yes." Through all the tears, the fights, the battles, the wars, the forgiveness, the make ups, the laughter, the mountain tops. Yes, it has been worth it. And we are praying for many, many, many more anniversaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment